1. Legal: I have been writing and translating contracts for over 30 years. I was an administrator for the International Encyclopaedia of Laws dealing with 20 types of law and edited, proofread and translated many monographs for this encyclopaedia. I also edited and proofread many books of labour law and industrial relations that were published by a publishing firm in the Netherlands and used as official texts for the Law Faculty of a Belgian University. In the field of Law and Order, I was the official translator for an international conference for police force personnel ... as well as a subsequent one for fire and rescue services.
2. Medical: I grew up with a doctor in the family (my dad) and even worked for a short time as medical receptionist for him. Then in 1983 I accompanied him as interpreter on a medical mission in Honduras. I have also interpreted for refugees on visits to doctors' offices and hospitals. This type of work was followed up by a Certification in Community Interpreting, which I received in 2002. Moreover, on a much larger scale, I have translated many medical documents, including medical records, hospital reports, medical research and medical conference material.
3. Forestry/Wood/Timber: I have been working in, as well as translating and interpreting for, the wood business for over 20 years. I have a knowledge of forestry, logs, lumber, veneer, flooring, doors, and many other wood products in all three of my professional languages. I write and negotiate sales contracts for wood products sales and also have experience in wood product marketing, sales and procurement. I was Chief Interpreter for many high level negotiations in several countries (including top political levels) regarding the procurement of forestry companies. I also served as manager and supervisor of log scalers/inspectors and was Chief Translator of a team of eight translators.
4. Agriculture: I worked at the Direction General for Agriculture at the Commission of the European Union in Brussels, Belgium for four years and compiled and translated agricultural reports and documents for publication. I am also an accredited freelance translator for the Food and Agricultural Organisation of the United Nations (FAO) in Rome, Italy.
5. Tourism and Travel: I have not only traveled to over 120 countries on six continents, by land, air and sea, but I have also worked in the tourism business as a tour guide in North America and in marketing and sales for tour companies in Africa and South America. Furthermore, I have worked on cruise ships in the Caribbean, where I was a translator, interpreter, editor, recorded voice-overs for videos and made announcements in six languages. I have certification in Tour Guiding and First Nations Cultural Tourism as well as Cruise Sales. Another section of this website is dedicated to my travel experiences, which you are welcome to read, of course. You can find a list of travel articles and experiences on this page.
6. Business - Sales and Marketing: I have been running my own business since 2005. Prior to starting my company, I studied business and obtained certification in General Business and Small Business Management & Ownership. Moreover, I have a certificate in Professional Sales and do a great deal of Marketing. Much of the work I receive these days is to translate marketing material for websites. The topics tend to be tourism and software for the most part.
7. Websites and Computer Software: I have a certificate in Web Publishing as well as training and experience in the following software: Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook; Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, InDesign, Acrobat; I write websites using html, I run a couple of blogs, and I use YouTube, Facebook and LinkedIn for social media; In film software I use Windows Live Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro. In addition, I have recently received training in the following CAT Tools: MateCat, Memsource, memoQ and Trados.
8. Education/Pedagogy: I have been teaching languages (English, French, Spanish) either in a classroom setting or to individuals for a number of years. Most recently, after obtaining certification in TESOL and TEFL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages/Teaching English as a Foreign Language), I spent an academic year teaching English in a school in Sicily (children and adults) as well as a medium-size enterprise in Rome, Italy. I am familiar with the Cambridge method for YLE (Starters, Movers, Flyers), KET, PET, FCE, etc. as well as IELTS.
9. Music: I am an amateur musician. I have learned to play the piano, the organ, the violin, the guitar, the flute and the recorder and I sing. I have a Diploma in Piano Performance (Associate of the Royal Conservatory of Toronto), which involved many exams in the history of music, harmony, composition, music analysis and counterpoint. I have sung in and conducted many choirs and have built websites for musicians. I have a vast library of written music and recorded music and am familiar with a vast range of musical styles. I have also made videos for musicians. My thesis for my Master's Degree in Translation was a translation of a Que sais-je book published in 1985 by Presses Universitaires de France called Le Piano by Claude Helffer and Catherine Michaud-Pradeilles.
10. Photography/Imaging (Graphic Arts) and Film Production: As a travel photographer, with a Certificate in Photography, I have studied this field fairly extensively and intensively. I have exhibited my work, it has been published by magazines and I have also self-published a number of books and calendars of my images. My photography website can be found at www.angelafairbank.com. I also have a Certificate in Digital Film Production and have volunteered my time on a number of short films (some of which have won awards), in various roles such as director, camera operator, post production, lighting, extra actor, stand-in, producer, editor, sound and sound editor as well as stills photographer.
11. Sports/Fitness/Recreation: I am a runner and have run dozens of races for charities ranging from five kilometres to a marathon (42.2 km). I have also practiced yoga, am a swimmer, a horse rider, and, to a lesser extent, an amateur ice skater and cross-country skier. I also hold National Coaching Certification and PADI certification in open water scuba diving.
12. Certificates, Diplomas, Licenses, CVs: I could not count the number of certificates, diplomas, licenses and CVs that I have translated from French and Spanish into English over the more than 35 years that I have been working as a translator. However, there have likely been hundreds! One client wrote the following testimonial about my work on his CV: “[Angela] is exceptional. In a short time she was able to translate [my] CV impeccably; her work is truly professional.” - Joël A., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.