"I describe myself as essentially a travel photographer with a strong interest in portraiture. The philosophy behind my images is a desire to create understanding among different people of the world, especially their cultures, beliefs and traditions. It is also to bring underprivileged people to the forefront of wealthier people's consciousness so that world wealth may be more evenly distributed and shared. After all, as we are all lucky enough to be living on this planet through accidents of nature, we should take care of it and of each other and make sure that both it and we survive in future generations."
Born in Vancouver, BC, Canada, Angela Fairbank has a Bachelor's degree in French and Spanish, a Master of Arts in Translation and a Certificate in Photography. She has studied in Vancouver, Quebec City, Valencia, Madrid, Brussels and Geneva, has worked in Europe, Africa, Asia and the Caribbean and has travelled for business in Asia, Africa, Western and Eastern Europe, the Middle East, North, Central and South America and the Caribbean. In fact the only continent she has not yet visited is Antarctica, because including her leisure travel she has been to over 100 countries, including Australia, New Zealand and other countries in the South Pacific.
Angela opened her photography company in Vancouver in September 2005 and also provides services to her international clients in translation, interpreting, editing, writing, proofreading
, website creation and management
and sales and marketing
She likes to keep up to date with the latest photography and related computer-software issues and is constantly looking for new ways to increase her knowledge. For this reason, after completing courses to obtain her Photography Certificate at Langara College, she has been updating her skills regularly at Focal Point, Emily Carr University, and Vancouver Photo Workshops, among other local photography institutes. She combines every travel opportunity with photography so as to increase her personal portfolio; consequently, her travel images have been displayed at a number of exhibitions in North America and published in magazines in North America and Europe. She has also self-published thirteen books and three calendars of photography. Her latest interest is film and in January 2013 she was awarded a Certificate in Digital Film Production. For the last few years, she has been donating her time and skills as a volunteer translator for Anak
, a children's charity in Bali, Indonesia.
- Rasa, a short film directed by Francis Fee, written by Ignacio de Freyre and produced by Laura Hope, Frances Fee and Ignacio de Freyre. Stills Photographer, June 2009.
- Presidente Pride - This City's Colours, a music video. Director and Camera Operator, August 2009 - “Angela, I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work on Presidente Pride - This City's Colours. I'm sure proud of it, and so pleased with all of you for working hard and working together to come up with such a great finished product! Awesome job!” - Matthew Presidente, Musician, singer and songwriter, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Matthew Presidente - “This City's Colours,” a music video. Director, Camera Operator and Post Production, November 2009.
- Tupper Secondary Arts Week, aired on Shaw video and W2. Technical Consultant, May 2010.
- Matthew Presidente - “Rainbow Reaction,” a music video. Assistant Director, Sound, B-roll Videographer, Lighting and Extra Actor, November 2010.
- Matthew Presidente - “Natural Heart / Valentine's Day,” a music video. Lighting and Sound, February 2011.
- The Shed, a short film by Ali Hassan. Lighting and Sound, November 2011.
- Hooked Up, a short film by BTGWTV Productions. Lighting and Sound, December 2011. “Angela,...when you hear the crisp audio you will be proud - even in windy conditions or with failing batteries...Your extra grip hands made set life so much easier and efficient.” Stephen Emery, Director and Scriptwriter, Vancouver, BC, Canada. This short is included in a DVD package of videos by Matthew Presidente.
- Vicky, Christina, Barcelona, an Emily Carr student project, Director, Jonathan Tammuz. Extra and Stand-in, February 2012.
- Brolly Wars, a series teaser by Writer and Director, Stephen Emery. Sound, Lens changer, PA, April 2012.
- Wiggle 18 (2012) for House of Venus. Camera, April 2012.
- Royal Lepage Comox Valley Snow to Surf Adventure Relay Event, 29 April 2012, a documentary film. Producer, Director, Editor, Camera Operator, Titling Designer, Stills Photographer, Sound Editor, April 2012.
- Mind Over Mountain Adventure Race, 2 June 2012 in Burnaby, BC, Canada, a short documentary. Producer, Director, Editor, Camera Operator, Titling Designer, Sound Editor, Stills Photographer, June 2012.
- Vaudeville Varieties, a promotional short film, about the Burnaby Village Museum. Camera Operator, July 2012.
- The Mary Contest, a short film by Writer and Director, Teresa McGee. Stills Photographer, October 2012. Trailer
- Reality, a series pilot in HDR, produced by Joe Jacobs Gilchrist and directed by Stephen Emery. Sound, February 2013.
A selection of self-publications
- Ethiopia Through the Eyes of a Photographer, August 2007, Second Printing November 2007.
- Vancouver The Photographic Guidebook - Focal Point Summer 2007 (Group project with 4 other photographers), August 2007.
- Vancouver Through the Eyes of a Photographer, September 2007.
- Chinese Wedding Through the Eyes of a Photographer, October 2007.
- Vicwood Group Through the Eyes of a Photographer, October 2007, Second Printing January 2008.
- Portfolio, November 2007.
- The Caribbean Through the Eyes of a Photographer, May 2008.
- Class of 1978, Crofton House School - 30 Years On, May 2008.
- 2009 Calendar, with images from Guatemala, Costa Rica, Ecuador and Argentina, November 2008
- 2010 Calendar, with images from French Polynesia, Peru, Ecuador, Panama, Costa Rica, Brazil, Mexico, Colombia and Quebec, December 2009.
- 2011 Calendar, with images from the Pantanal, Cuiabá and Chapada dos Guimarães, Brazil, October 2010.
- Langara College, Vancouver, BC, Canada, March 2005
- Adventures in Travel Expo, Chicago, Illinois, USA, January 2006
- Adventures in Travel Expo, New York, New York, USA, January 2007
- Focal Point, Vancouver, BC, Canada, June 2007
- Exposure Gallery, “Winter Salon,” Vancouver, BC, Canada, December 2007
- Exposure Gallery, “Vancouver,” Vancouver, BC, Canada, January 2008
- Exposure Gallery, “Performance,” Vancouver, BC, Canada, February 2008
- Exposure Gallery, “Constructed Reality,” Vancouver, BC, Canada, March 2008
- Exposure Gallery, “Summer Salon,” Vancouver, BC, Canada, June 2008
- Adventures in Travel Expo, Seattle, Washington, USA, September 2008
- Exposure Gallery, “The Travelling Eye,” Vancouver, BC, Canada, October 2008
- Musée Juste Pour Rire, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, CAPIC Montréal 2009 Expo in conjunction with World Press Photo, 4 September - 4 October 2009
Magazines that have published Angela's images
- African Travel Magazine - Ethiopia Millennium Edition 2008, pages 6 and 7 (two-page spread).
- Travel World News - Section 4: Profitable World of Niche Markets Pull-Out Supplement, December 2007, page 12.
- Women's World Day of Prayer - “Together in Prayer” 2010 - Cameroon, pages 16, 17, 20 and 29.