I am able to:
- a native speaker of English
- fluent in French and Spanish
- an eagle-eyed proofreader and editor, quick to identify grammar, spelling and punctuation errors
- experienced in using computer-assisted translation (CAT) tools
- decisive, hardworking, determined and open-minded
- toil independently
- work under pressure to meet the demands of a deadline-oriented environment
- adapt translations as required according to subject matter and target audience
- learn new skills, technologies and workflows quickly
- thirty-five (35) plus years of proven work experience as a Translator, Interpreter, Editor and Proofreader in a variety of subject matters
- a postgraduate degree in translation studies
- a positive, helpful and flexible attitude
- seasoned proficiency in managing multiple projects within tight timelines
- an awesome flair for prioritizing jobs
- excellent customer-service and relationship-management skills
- outstanding oral and written communication in French, Spanish and English
- an amazing analytical talent
- superb dexterity with problem-solving
- a quick, imaginative and strategic mind
What I do (more or less in this order):
- I translate, edit and proofread a variety of documents in a number of subject matters.
- I work daily with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint as well as Adobe pdf documents.
- I verify the content of source documents and report potential errors.
- I pay meticulous attention to detail.
- I perform terminology research using on- and off-line dictionaries and reference books.
- I translate using industry-specific terminology.
- I maintain a translation log to ensure that translation requests are completed in a timely and consistent manner.
- I translate from scratch or use translation memory tools to translate, as per my clients' wishes.
- I translate documents making sure the meaning in the source text is retained.
- I collaborate with other translators, if required, to prioritize and complete translation projects as per the timeline assigned.
- I compare documents to ensure accurate translation.
- I edit content with an eye toward maintaining the original format (e.g. font and structure) of the source text.
- I ensure that all translations are completed according to my clients' instructions regarding style and additional glossaries.
- I verify that there are no additions/omissions to the original text, the original meaning, or the original feeling and intent.
- I meet deadlines and always feel a sense of urgency.
- I proofread translated texts for correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- I revise translations to ensure quality, accuracy and consistency.
- I follow up with internal team members and clients to ensure that the translation meets their needs.
- I network with field experts to stay current on new translation tools and practices.
- When opportunities arise, I add new skills to widen my service offerings. For instance, I can also prepare subtitles for videos and online presentations.